Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ha!

I started this blog for two reasons.  First, I want to capture the changes we make to our home.  Second, I want an outlet for my thoughts on and about being a mom.  


My husband and I put an offer in our our first home on March 13, 2010.  The offer was accepted and we were so excited.  We had our home inspection the next weekend and then drove to my in-laws house to show them pictures of the new house and tell them that we were expecting a baby in November.  


Happy, happy, joy, joy!


Life said Ha!


The following week I found out I'd had a missed miscarriage.  Bummer.  But we dealt with it and regrouped for a second try with our infertility clinic that summer (yeah, I'm skipping over the infertility part, there were issues, blah blah blah, did an IUI and it worked, did another in June 2010 and that worked too - we aim to distort medical statistics).  


In May 2010 we settled on our house.  That same day my sister, Katie, and her fiance, Miguel, arrived home for their wedding and we moved.  Settled, moved and visitors all on the same day - yup!  Luckily soon-to-be brother-in-law saw the craziness in the situation and decided they should stay elsewhere.  Bless your heart, Miguel!


Crazy unpacking and painting ensued that first week along with the wedding planning (which was that Friday - a week to the day after Kate and Miguel arrived home) and a baby shower and then I collapsed and hired a painter and gave up on decorating for a few months.  


During those months I got pregnant again and did a very good job doing the minimal around the house - knowing I'd go nuts nesting towards the end of the second trimester.


Once again, Life said Ha!


Thanksgiving 2010 was viability day - 24 weeks.  About 60% of pregnancies that make it to 24 weeks result in a living, breathing baby.  For some reason I had this day engraved in my mind after clearing the hurdle of the first trimester and the CVS test.  I had big plans for Thanksgiving weekend - the nesting urge had kicked in and I was determined to get lots of projects done by Christmas.  I was hoping to host my family for Christmas morning and I was going to be the uber-hostess.


The day before Thanksgiving I ended up in the hospital due to high blood pressure, I was discharged but was back again the next day.  Discharged again but this time with a diagnosis of mild pre-eclampsia and placed on bed rest.  This didn't stop my nesting instinct - just complicated matters while helping me focus on the minimum that needed to be done before baby arrived.  You know where this is going.


Ha!


I lasted two weeks on bed rest at home before ending up in the High Risk Maternity unit.  Just as I was feeling confident that I'd last in the High Risk unit when my liver enzymes went nuts and I had an emergency C-Section.  I was 26 weeks, 4 days pregnant.  Kevin Patrick arrived at 12:48pm on December 14, 2010.


Lots of drama, tears, worry, joy, prayers of need and prayers of thanksgiving (and this is coming from a borderline agnostic).  Now it's February and I'm going to get this house in shape in time to bring my little boy home  whenever that time may come.


Life don't you dare say Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have seen you post on the nest...the picture of your son caught my eye so I came over to your blog to say hello. I had HELLP, a form of pre-eclampsia. My DD was born at 28 weeks. It was a difficult start for her, but she did just fine - and I am sure Kevin will too. DD is now 14 and perfect...well she is wearing a bit more makeup then I'd like her to wear, but otherwise she is perfect. The days in the NICU - waiting to see her face without tape on it, to hear her cry, to hold her without wires...to know she would be ok and come home - were the most difficult of my life. She gets angry now when we tell her the day she was born was not a happy day, it was a scary day...but that it was. We still celebrate the day she came home from the hospital! Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and DS and know how it feels to be where you are.

    ReplyDelete