Thursday, February 10, 2011

Linen Closet Makeover

Sometime in the next few years I have a not so secret plan to gut our only bathroom and sections of the adjoining rooms to create a master bath/closet and a second bathroom.  In the meantime, I'm making minimal changes to make the space more attractive and functional for as little money as possible.


Project #1 was our linen closet which went from this...




To this...






Steps:
1.  Purge the closet.  Donate or recycle the unnecessary crap.




2.  Clean.
3.  Prime and Paint.  I used leftover paint samples in fun greenish yellow shades for the rear wall of the closet.  My goal was to smile whenever I open the closet door and this paint job makes me smile.




4.  Cover old shelves with shelf paper - I used a fun yellow and white pattern from Home Depot.  This picture shows the flaw in the shelving - the anchor seems to have slipped.  Yes, I should fix this but it's a bit beyond my abilities.  The space functions well so I'm not spending anymore time or money on it at the moment.  May revisit if I get the rest of my To Do list done.




5.  Organize linen closet items into an assortment of repurposed and new storage containers.  I have to confess that I did a bit more purging while putting items into the storage containers.






Half of the containers shown in the after picture are EMPTY!


Sources:
Paint - Base color is Glidden's Pale Shadow.  Happy greenish yellow shades are Benjamin Moore Ginseng Root, Hawthorn Green and Greenmount Silk.  Trim is Glidden Raindrops.
Storage Containers - Ikea Kassett boxes, Skubb storage boxes.  The green bins are from Target a few years ago.  The yellow box with the green lid contained a gift.
Contact Paper - Con-Tact Grip Prints in Yellow


Ahhh, how pretty!






Next up:  The Bathroom Vanity...



No comments:

Post a Comment